Thursday, November 12, 2009

JOURNAL 10

 Nellie Gotebeski

November 17, 2009

Moral Development


How is the parenting I received related to my attitudes towards human nature?

In The Human Potential for Peace, Fry criticizes implicit and explicit assumptions. He warns us that unrealistic assumptions can lead to unrealistic conclusions. He focuses on implicit assumptions, because these assumptions are simply taken for granted.  Several implicit assumptions have led us to confidently assume that humans are innately aggressive and that war is ancient. However, after investigating these basic assumptions, we can find flawed reasoning leading to unrealistic conclusions. These unrealistic conclusions paint a negative image of humanity and consequently affect the way we view human nature. The aggressive and violent side of humanity is considered natural and unavoidable. This viewpoint is becoming ingrained into children at a very young age and nowadays it is difficult to find people arguing for the peacefulness in human nature. 

Fortunately, certain parenting styles can encourage us to challenge these flawed implicit assumptions and alter negative attitudes towards human nature. Parents are not uncontested in the campaign to win our understanding. Any children raised during the 1990’s could switch on their television and find violence and aggression. The media is obsessed with war and most outside sources seem to drive this idea of a violent humanity. Without even thinking twice or investigating false premises, we conclude that humans are naturally violent and war is inevitable.

With a tough competitor arguing for the aggressiveness in human nature, parents enter a difficult challenge. They must remember that their parenting style is a strong indicator of their child’s attitude towards human nature. Therefore, the outcome of their victory is invaluable. 

I believe in the brighter side of humanity. I do not negate the prevalence of violent and aggressive behaviors sweeping our world, but I believe that we enter the world as peaceful beings and have the tools to remain that way. Everyone could agree that naturally we are born unable to defend ourselves. We depend on our parents to help us survive. The book The Science of Parenting describes three brains that we develop throughout our childhood; the reptilian brain, the mammalian brain, and the rational brain. It is our parents’ responsibility to make sure this development occurs in such a way to produce compassionate and rational adults. I was born into a warm and loving family. I formed a secure-attachment with my mother, who was always aware of my needs. Beyond this sensitivity, she tried to meet my needs to the best of her ability. She felt my pain and tried to communicate her understanding with a language I understood. She soothed my pain and let me know that she would always be there. 

With her warm and meaningful touches throughout the day, I grew to understand and appreciate compassion. By being exposed at a young age to compassion and peaceful human beings, I was raised appreciating this form of human nature. As I grew older, I became confident in my relationships with others. My mom’s constant support and attentiveness to my needs and our secure and loving attachment with one another influenced my attitudes towards human nature. I form peaceful relationships with many people and believe that we all have peacefulness inside of us. I understand that conflicts often arise between humans, and I am willing to admit that on occasion I react out of fear and anger. However, I believe that despite the existence of the reptilian brain (and the negative outcome associated with it), we are naturally created to develop our three brains in such a way to optimally balance them. The balance of the three brains will ensure peaceful behavior. Warm and loving parents that are attentive to their child’s needs will help develop their child’s brain in such a way to create a caring and compassionate adult. Not only this, but the child will develop a peaceful understanding of others and challenge the implicit assumptions that argue otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment